Monday 2 March 2009

I am back.

Hi everyone,sorry I haven't been writing much in the last couple of weeks, several reasons. We have been working hard finishing the kitchen (photo's to follow later in the week), and work has been really getting to me over the last couple of weeks. one of the problems of being a homeworker is it is actually quite hard to walk away from it and for the last couple of weeks I have been suffering from a bit of stress and winter blues. Anyway enough of that, I have been working in the garden. Regular readers of my blog will remember my list of tasks for the year, well I have almost finished task number 1, putting a green roof on my potting shed.

This is the potting shed, it was used as a small pony stable and is very strongly built (I hope!!), the roof area is about 90 sq feet. In order to make the roof I needed to create a new flowerbed (what a shame!) as I wanted to use the turfs to cover the roof.


I placed the turfs on the roof upside down, I did this for a couple of reasons, firstly it will allow the wild flower seeds I am sowing a head start on the grass and secondly the grass on the underside of the turfs will form a mat helping to stabilise the soil preventing it from washing off the roof.


The roof does slope slightly to the back so if I have got this wrong the whole lot could end up in Ron's garden next door!

As my border fork shows the soil is not what you might describe as light! if anyone knows where I can get a decent, strong fork please let me know, this is the third one in 2 years!



I did also manage to dig over some of the veg patch as well, just in time as they are predicting rain and frosts this week which will break up the lumps a bit.

I have the day off today so I am going to get started on planting some seeds, after all I have a new flowerbed to fill this year.

7 comments:

  1. Good to hear from you, Gary, I was just about to message you to see if you were all right! Have a great day off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to have you back I was wondering about your absence

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to have you back. Looks like your break from blogging gave you an opportunity to get some stuff started in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone, good to be back and it's great to actually be doing some gardening again. Gary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Garry, thanks for the update - glad your back.
    K

    ReplyDelete
  6. You sure are ambitious, Gary! I am excited to see pics of the shed roof when things are growing. I am also anticipating the kitchen pics.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the idea of growing on the roof. Whoa in three days I see I missed several posts. Catching up now. Glad to see you back here, Gary.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments.