Saturday, 27 December 2008

Post Christmas reflections


I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas, we did even without a kitchen! Victoria asked me the other day if we would be sitting down for dinner in front of a large log fire, well this was the best we could do.

I was very pleased with myself over the holiday as I managed to supply Lettuce, Parsnip, Leeks, Carrots and Jerusalem Artichoke from the garden and the greenhouse for the Christmas meals.

I also managed to get out in the garden for an hour or so on Boxing day and plant my garlic, normally I would do this in November but I forgot! I also turned over the soil in one of the veg beds, I have been growing field mustard in it as a green manure and I thought it was time to dig it in as it was getting quite large.

My sister in law bought us an interesting present. It is a selection of organically raised vegeatable seedlings. Basically you send off a form and when the seedling are ready they dispatch them to you. I think this is a great idea and although I normally raise my veg from seed they do tend to take over the greenhouse. This will mean I have a lot more space in the greenhouse this spring to raise other plants for the garden. I look forward to being able to report back on the quality of the plant when they arrive.