Thursday, 26 March 2009

Confused tulips and hardy planting


Tulip 'Praestans fusilier'

Ok this year is getting silly already, I have window boxes full of tulips in flower before most of my daffs have opened, bang goes my plan for a nice succession of colour.

In my last post I said i would tell you about the hardy plants I have been putting in my beds, well here's the list:
  • Condonopsis tangshen
  • Polygonatum striatum
  • Helenium sahins
  • Ratibida pinnata
  • Euphorbia nematocybha
  • Paeonia 'Buckeye blue'
I also still have 11 Penstemons to plant out.

In addition to this lot the seeds in the greenhouse all seem to be coming on well but it will be a few weeks before anything is ready to plant out.

I have also spent a bit of time recutting the edges to the various beds. It is amazing what a difference it makes simply defining the edges.

The picture below was taken from my office window yesterday whilst I was on yet another conference call (yawn!!). The light and the colour of the sky where both fantastic. If you study the picture carefully you will notice a blue carrier bag caught in the branches of our walnut tree. Has anyone got any suggestions as to how to get it down without me killing myself?