Thursday, 27 November 2008

In Bloom 2009


Iris


Well first let me say that the picture above has nothing to do with what I am writing about, I just found it on my hard drive and thought it would brighten up the page.

Last night I attended the first planning meeting of the Village in Bloom organising committee. For those of you who don't know about 'In Bloom', it is a national competition between villages and towns to improve our environment. This does not just mean who has the best hanging baskets or ornamental tubs but the whole environment. It includes conservation activities, anti litter campaigns, community activities and anything else that improves the area in which we live. The villages and towns that take part are judged by an independent team and medals are awarded. Last year the village achieved a Silver medal which ideally we would like to improve on but the important thing is taking part and getting more people involved.

I have agreed to help project manage the planting and redesigning an area of grass and flowerbeds at the entrance to the village. The existing beds are a little tired and also block the view of traffic coming into the village. It is quite a large space and will be quite a lot of work but well worth doing. We also agreed to do several wildlife projects which we hope to get the village kids involved in which should be fun.

I have also been asked to document the work we do as we have to produce a portfolio for the judges, so I will also share some of the photos we you over the next few months.