Wednesday 24 February 2010

A winter walk and discovering a secret landscape.

 

Once again over the weekend we had snow, I can't remember a winter like this. At least this time it was only a light dusting but it gave a nice excuse to go for a walk accross the fields towards our neighbouring village, Pidley.  This lovely old oak tree stands in one of the fields, I doubt this is the worst winter it has seen or will see. The field in the forground is planted with rape, which would normally be about a foot tall by now but is only forming a slight green carpet on the surface of the soil it being held back so much by the cold.
Also on sunday I discovered this wonderful secret landscape.


It is growing on the roof of our garage. Lovely clumps of moss which are all fruiting at the moment. I never bother clearing it as it not only looks pretty but the birds love digging around in it looking for food.

2 comments:

  1. The moss enlarged is really lovely. Fantastic colours and shapes.

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have moss all over my back garden and the birds love to come pick it out of the planters I have topped off with moss. :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments.