Monday 15 December 2008

Winter wildlife Pt 2


First of all I would like to say thank you for all the comments for my first 'Winter wildlife' post last week. As everyone seemed to like the Owl picture so much, everyone loves owls I thought I would share another one with you. This is a Tawny Owl Strix aluco and we have several pairs around the village. On a clear night frosty night like last Thursday you can here them calling with the famous toowit toowoo, this is in facy made by 2 owls one calls and the other answers.
As I said in my last post at this time of year the fields play host to a number of wader species. in the last couple of weeks we have started to see flocks of Lapwing Vanellus vanellus ( see photo) also known as green plover in the fields to the East of the village. It is great to see them as they are quite a threatened species nationally.
We also get flocks of Golden Plover Pluvialis apricaria in the fields. It is a beautiful sight in the late afternoon with the sun low in the sky when the flock takes to the air, as the change direction the whole flock shimmers in the light, truly one of the sights of winter.

Other visitors include Snipe, Woodcock, Curlew and Dunlin all making use of the food supply the fields provide.

If you enjoy my wildlife photo's do vist my other blog: Painting with light where I will be posting more of them.

4 comments:

  1. lovely pics - I love owls and occasionally see what I think is a barn owl hoovering over the common near us at night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now, you're making me jealous of you. How lucky you are! I love your owl pics! Thank you for posting and hope you post more of them - it's a request from me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful pictures, the plover is so beautiful! What a treat to see one 'in person.' Found your blog through Phillip's comment feed re: his Marin Headlands post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic capture of the Tawny Owl!! Enjoy your photography!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments.