Thursday 15 October 2009

Halfway there and a bit of a moan.

I spent much of my long weekend tidying up the garden, I think I am about halfway there. I Managed to do most of the things I needed to do in the veg patch. I cleared the debris off the rhubarb, dug over the empty beds and planted out spring cabbage and broad beans. This part of the year is a real time of change, it is sad to look at the forlorn leaves of the courgette plants knowing all that is left for them is the short trip to the compost heap. I felt the same as I cut down the remnants of the runner beans. However looking around the patch I still have Parsnips, Celeriac, and Jerusalem Artichokes to harvest and my leeks are coming on nicely.



One of the other jobs that I wanted to do was a bit of bulb planting. I had decided to plant bulbs under the lawn in hope over time they will naturalise. I planted a couple of hundred crocus and about 120 Tete a tete daffodils, I love these miniature daffs and I feel when I am planting them that is like placing unexploded fireworks in the soil, waiting for spring to ignite the fuse.
I have also planted loads of hyacinths along the edge of the path and in the verge outside the house, I am looking forward the scent from them.

We had a very disappointing turnout for our In Bloom' workday on the village flowerbeds, only three of us turned up. I spent 2 hours getting one of the old dogwoods out and broke my favourite spade in the process, I was not happy. But as one of the team said if people don't turn up they loose their right to complain about what we are doing.

3 comments:

  1. Planting bulbs under the lawn - never thought about this! What a great idea! Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like you have had a very productive veg plot this year - well done you!! I am off to my allotment soon to plant some daffodil bulbs and to do more tidying up / preparing for the winter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find autumn tidying very satisfying. I like it much better than spring.

    I've planted tete-a-tete too - except the bulbs I bought puzzle me. They look too big.

    I hope the mention at

    http://esthersboringgardenblog.blogspot.com/2009/10/starting-on-memes.html

    is ok.

    Esther

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments.