Wednesday 2 September 2009

Why I was awake at 4am this morning.

As regular readers of this blog will know I live in a lovely quiet little village in Cambridgeshire. We moved here from London a few years ago partly to escape the noise etc. Anyway twice now in the last couple of weeks I have been woken up at 4 am by a racket outside the bedroom window. The culprit, a Tawny owl sitting on the telephone pole outside the window calling to it's mate. Last night was actually worse because it's mate was in the tree opposite, owls in stereo .... wonderful!

Of course whenever I go out around here to try and watch Tawnys in the wild I can never find them. So I am going to start sleeping with my camera next to the bed so I am ready for them next time.




Tawny Owl

9 comments:

  1. Oh, it's no nice to be awaken at that time. But the owls might make it worth it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Gary, that is worth waking up for, nearly our regular wake up time anyway. What a fabulous creature, the most beautiful ever! Hearing the love songs sounds delightful, no matter the time of day or night. Maybe there will be little ones around some day. :-)
    Frances

    ReplyDelete
  3. Memories of my childhood listening to the owls in the trees near us. Thank you for the trip to the past! Val

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, a Tawny, how exciting!

    I haven't heard one this year yet, but last year I did... However I was woken up early a few days ago... Sadly by something rather less exciting, cats arguing!

    We're just waiting for the Foxes to start now, it's coming up to their season...

    ReplyDelete
  5. It would not matter when it was, I would jump up grab the camera and go looking for them. Then again, I'm obsessively in love with nature.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is great to have them in the village. I think they are the same pair that had the chicks I wrote about a few weeks ago. Sadly it was too dark to get a photo and you can't use flash as it could panic them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds cool! I've never seen an owl in person - not even in zoos!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd rather have an owl than a nightingale.

    (Not that I've got a nightingale either.)

    Esther

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments.