Monday 28 September 2009

Boris Becka and a Fig tree.

Our friends Lesley and Paul came to stay over the weekend and they brought us a present a fig tree Ficus carica 'Black necked lady' which I have planted in a nice spot sheltered from the northwind and with a good sunny view to the south. I have made sure that I have restricted the roots as I have been advised that this will help promote fruiting.

One of the reasons they came to visit was to leave their dog with us while they have some building work done. As regular readers will know, and indeed some have met we have Boris a Ridgeback Mastiff cross, well lesley and Paul liked him so much they got Becka a female Ridgeback and as you can see she has settled in well.

What you can't see in the photo is Sharron who was trying to eat at the time so this is their 'What about me? I am a poor starving dog' pose. Oh and yes I did feel a right idiot when we took them for a walk last evening shouting "here Boris Becka' !

5 comments:

  1. Our cats have a similar pose!

    They look a lot of fun despite the unfortunate name pairing when they're together :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have friends who considered calling their dog 'Death' so they could walk along the cliff tops in the evenings shouting 'Death!' into the wind.

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your little fig tree! A friend gave me two this summer in exchange for picking his fill of organic strawberries off my farm. Now to find a place for the little trees - one a Brown Turkey and one an X intermedia. I've never grown figs before . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. We actually named Boris after Boris Becker as he is one of Sharron's favourite tennis players. When our friends met him (the dog I mean) they liked him so much they got a Ridgeback bitch and thought it would be fun to call her Becka.

    We have never grown a fig before, but judging from the one around the corner they do very well in the village.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with your new fig tree. We grew one here in Arizona with good results.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments.